ISSE 2016 Long Beach
The Professional Beauty Association (PBA) will be hosting the International Salon and Spa Expo (ISSE) on January 30th-February 1st, 2016. ISSE will return to the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, California. Recognized by Trade Show News Network as one of the industry’s leading shows, ISSE expects to attract tens of thousands of licensed professionals each day.
“The Professional Beauty Association is proud to host the 2016 International Salon and Spa Expo (ISSE), which brings together the industry’s most influential beauty professionals. From the minute you walk onto the floor, you can feel the energy and excitement of this can’t miss show,” stated Steve Sleeper, Executive Director for the Professional Beauty Association. “We’re expecting an even bigger showing this year, and look forward to bringing in new, high-profile educators as well as the most-in demand exhibitors.”
The ISSE proved to be a great introduction for The Image Of Magazine, into the Spa and Beauty Industry. Covering the event at the Long Beach Convention Center has been one of the highlights for TIOM every year. The three days of the expo did not allow for enough time to cover the magnitude of the expo and the multitude of businesses and patrons. The events, shows, booths, classes, seminars, breakout sessions, business-to-business and people-to-business gathering, made for a broad spectrum to cover…So Many Stories, So Little Time…
As with most features in The Image Of Magazine, our focus has always been to capture the moment and letting the IMAGEs speak for them self. Our intellectual use of adjective and adverbs, or lack of knowledge will only get in the way of the visuals captured by the skillful photojournalist at the event. We place emphasis on capturing the people in attendance. Yes, the shows and the vendors always take the big spotlight, as they are the reason we come. But the people give them the reason to stand out and be noticed because the people are the reason they exist.
From what we witnessed at the ISSE, there are a lot of moving pieces that go into producing such an event. From the camera’s viewpoint, it seemed to be a well choreographed blend between the consumer, customer, client, retailer and manufacturer all in one huge ballroom… and it is a hard dance to do. Imagine trying to dance a well choreographed Viennese Waltz, to a heavy dose of Snoopp Dogg blaring through the speakers, or a good old fashion Tango with the high riffs of P.O.D., or maybe even a rhythmic hip-hop routine to a melodic chanting from Vatican choir…Well that’s what the Professional Beauty Association has done with the International Salon & Spa Expo for over the years. The coordination of all 400 businesses and vendors, along with the over 25,000 patrons, mixed well within the confines of The Long Beach Convention Center and its highly capable staff. What I haven’t mentioned was the behind the scene drama that goes along with catering to such a diverse gathering. Having to cater to the every need of the vendors and businesses that strives to put their best foot, hand, skin and hair forward as well as the individual attendee, is not a task for the meek. There are verbal exchanges that would even make a sailor blush. But like a tight knit family mending the riffs of siblings, you hug it out and you get the makings of a “Modern Family” TV episode…a unified home of characters.
As much as we would like to try to describe what we witnessed and took place during the 3 days of the 2013 ISSE, we prefer to give you the perspective of those that matter; the businesses and the patrons. Along with our unique approach to covering events, the IMAGE’s will speak for themselves. First time attendees are always the optimist when they prepare for the ISSE. “I’m so excited to attend the 2016 Salon and Spa show In Long Beach. I can’t wait to see what’s new, be inspired with ideas and gain potential business. Just to be in the atmosphere of creative energy alone will be an experience. I hope to come in contact with the best hair extension lines, product distributors, and hair salons especially those that put an emphasis on curly hair. I have a great outlook for 2016 since partnering Jaie Benson creater of the original Curly Tee Towel”… Janair Johnson Owner – Glitter~N~Bliss Salon. Even more a special thanks to “The Image Of Magazine” for making this experience possible.
Hair Competitions Were A Success: After being well received at the 2012 show, ISSE Long Beach brought back its hair competitions in 2013. Open to students and licensed professionals, the hair competitions allowed individuals to show off their skills and win cash and career prestige. Nail Competitions Bring Out New and Seasoned Entrants: The ISSE Long Beach nail competitions, sponsored by NailPro Magazine, featured an array of new and seasoned entrants. Winners were awarded cash and prizes depending on placements.
Highlights for the 2016 Show:
- ISSE Passport: New this year – the ISSE Passport is a three-day ticket providing attendees a discounted price with more flexibility to choose which days to attend. The ISSE Passport has member and non-member pricing, and does not include paid events.
- 2016 Beauty Pitch Launch: ISSE 2016 will kick-off the 2016 Beauty Pitch competition. This one of a kind event held during PBA’s Beauty Week and hosted by Cosmoprof North America (CPNA), is focused on helping beauty entrepreneurs connect with investors. Celebrity guests, industry experts, and participating investment groups will be revealed at ISSE.
- North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA) Deconstructed by Charlie Price: NAHA veteran Charlie Price will construct a NAHA entry from concept and story-boarding, to model selection, to choosing the best photographer during this online, 3-part webinar series. Attendees will watch as his collection comes to life at ISSE 2016.
- Education Featuring the Industry’s Industry’s Biggest Names: ISSE 2016 will feature: George Alderete, Chrystofer Benson, Andrew Carruthers, Tabatha Coffey, Tracey Hughes, Anthony Gianotti “Anthony the Barber” and Sam Villa.
- PBA Beauty Bar: The Beauty Bar provides 10 participating sponsors the opportunity to showcase their products to thousands of ISSE attendees for a good cause. All proceeds from the Beauty Bar support PBA’s Disaster Relief Fund which supports salon professionals in need.
- Ayurveda For Oncology: As host of CIDESCO Section USA Education, ISSE brings relevant and timely education to the show. Becky Keuhn with – Oncology Spa Solutions®, OE-USA, President of The International Society of Oncology Esthetics & Allied Professionals will present Ayurveda for Oncology. Which is a system of natural and holistic medicine, used in esthetics for the client going through traditional cancer treatments.
- The Nail Spot 2016: Dedicated to nail professionals the Nail Spot features creative and technical education. This year Sam Briddle with Orly will demonstrate and teach fundamental basics attendees can easily apply to create simple to complex designs.
- Hair and Barber Competitions: Hair competitions will be held on Sunday, January 31st with competitions for both junior and senior professionals. ISSE Passport included with registration. Categories include: Ladies’ Progressive Cut, Color and Style by OMC, Avant Garde by NAHA, and A Night at the Oscars®. Hot Hands Barber Brawl returns this year to ISSE on Monday, February 1st. With categories including: Student Barber Traditional, Traditional, Fastest Barber on Earth, and Original Tag Team.